Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is an Quorum onQ™ appliance?
A Quorum onQ™ appliance is a complete turnkey Disaster Recovery Solution. One appliance provides complete high availability, protecting multiple servers from any combination of storage or system failures. Adding a second, replicated appliance provides complete disaster recovery in the event of a site failure.
Why do I need a Disaster Recovery Solution?
Backup, even on-line backup, doesn't provide rapid recovery in the event of a localized failure, let alone a site-wide disaster. Your systems are critical to the operations of your day-to-day business. If your applications are not available, your revenues and customer service are negatively impacted. Ninety percent of businesses that experience a 1 week outage go out of business within a year.
How is the onQ appliance different from backup solutions?
Simply stated, onQ™ clones your servers right onto our appliances and provides instant recovery of your business applications after any storage, system or site failure. And you can test it under real-world scenarios any time. Backup just can't do that.
|Function||How it works with Backup||How it works with onQ|
|Recovery from system failure||
|Recovery from site failure||
|DR Plan Testing||
Don't I just get what the onQ appliance provides if I virtualize my servers?
Implementing Disaster Recovery Solution with virtualization requires many different components from different vendors. This typically includes:
- Shared high performance network storage such as a SAN
- Buying high powered servers that support multi-host virtualization for the local and remote site
- Selecting a virtualization platform
- Buying virtualization licenses
- Selecting and buying a replication/synchronization solution to keep the remote environment synchronized with the local one
- Migrating all of your servers to the virtual environment
- Integrating management software that monitors the virtual machines and manages which backup virtual machine is “active”
- Deploying a solution like the one above usually costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and requires a multi-month project using expert consultants.
- onQ essentially gives you everything above in a turnkey appliance with a single user interface. You can have it running in hours instead of months…at a fraction of the cost.
What applications does onQ support?
Quorum onQ is "application agnostic". Unlike other solutions, onQ does not use block-by-block disk imaging technology. It uses integrated operating system features to detect changed files and then using our powerful deduplication and sub-file-level incremental update technologies to transfer only changes to the appliance—even for files that are in use. It does this without any application-specific add-on modules.